Mandate of the Board
- Generate Awareness among local people about the Biological Diversity Act-2002 and Assam Biodiversity Rules-2010.
- Establish Biodiversity Management Committees (BMCs) at District level, Block level, Village level and also in the Autonomous Councils of the State.
- Assist the BMCs in preparation of People’s Biodiversity Registers (PBR) through documentation of local biological resources and associated traditional knowledge.
- Regulate access to biological resources for research and commercial purposes to facilitate ‘Access and Benefit Sharing’ mechanisms.
- Declaration of biodiversity rich areas of the state as ‘Biodiversity Heritage Sites’ and to frame rules for management and monitoring of such sites for conservation.
- Notification of ‘Threatened species’ of the state.
- Create Biodiversity fund for the Board and for the BMCs.
- Other such actions required for implementation of the BD Act-2002 in the state